Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Couple Outfits (커플옷)

This summer I've had a lot of fun looking out for instances of 커플옷 (couples wearing matching outfits). I'm not sure how or when it started, but this phenomenon is now quite widespread among younger couples in Seoul. On sunny days in any of the popular date spots in Seoul, I could usually find one such couple every 15 minutes or so on average. With the intention of someday making this into a blog post, for the last several months I have gone to great lengths to spot, creep up on, and discreetly photograph such couples.

Unni was amused and non-plussed by my mission, asking, "Don't they do that in America too?" I can't say I'm very in-tune with the youth trends in America these days, but I can't recall anyone trying to pull this off back in my day. Certainly it would be unthinkable in Japan, where the rule is to try to attract as little attention to yourself as possible.

Nevertheless Unni is an enthusiastic supporter of all my blogging efforts and she got into the game herself, helpfully pointing out couples I overlooked and even lending her camera a few times when I was caught unprepared.

Without further ado, I present my collection of 커플옷 photos from the summer and early fall 2011 (faces are tastefully obscured, because I figure a single day's humiliation is enough for most people):

2 comments:

  1. I was going to jokingly write that maybe using Japanese icon Hello Kitty may not be the best choice for Korean couples, but then I realized that the only real substitute, Bukka, might be a considerably worse choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. It's Pukka with a 'p' for some reason.

    And come to think of it, Pukka and her boyfriend would be a fun choice. Just not Pukka for both of them.

    ReplyDelete